Four Days in the Dark: US Navy Destroyer Loses Power in the South China Sea

A United States Navy destroyer spent four days without power while operating in the South China Sea last month, leaving its sailors without potable water, working toilets, galley service or air conditioning.

The incident turned a routine Indo Pacific mission into a punishing test of seamanship and basic endurance.

USS Benfold, an Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer, suffered what the Navy described as an “engineering casualty” involving its generators.

The resulting outage began July 24 and disabled essential systems aboard the warship during operations in one of the most strategically contested regions on Earth.

Cmdr. Matthew Comer, a spokesperson for the Seventh Fleet, confirmed the casualty and the four day power loss.

Comer would not specify the precise location of the incident, although multiple news organizations reported that it occurred in the South China Sea.

That location makes the failure particularly serious because the waterway remains a focal point of Chinese military pressure and American freedom of navigation operations.

A modern destroyer losing power there is more than an inconvenience, regardless of how calmly Navy public affairs describes it.

The George Washington Carrier Strike Group provided assistance while Benfold remained at sea. Support included meals supplied by USS Robert Smalls, a Ticonderoga class guided missile cruiser operating with the strike group.


With the destroyer unable to recover on its own, contracted tugboats towed Benfold into Subic Bay in the Philippines on July 28.

Specialists from the Ship Repair Facility Japan Regional Maintenance Center met the ship after its arrival and began addressing the generator failure.

The conditions aboard Benfold were severe even though no sailors were physically injured.

Four days without reliable sanitation, fresh water, prepared food or cooling in the tropical environment would test any crew, especially one still responsible for protecting a multimillion dollar warship.

“There were no injuries to the crew, who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism, and unwavering steadiness in their response,” Comer said.


That praise appears well earned, since Benfold’s sailors had to keep the ship secure and organized while many of its most basic systems were unavailable.

One day after the ship reached the Philippines, crew members received food and contracted lodging ashore.

Electrical power was restored July 30, ending an ordeal that should trigger hard questions about maintenance, readiness and the reliability of critical shipboard equipment.

Repairs continued after electricity returned, and Benfold later shifted berths to take on fuel on Aug. 7.

By the time the destroyer departed Subic Bay on Aug. 8, its engineering equipment, combat systems and crew support systems were reportedly functioning normally.

“The crew was directly supported by ships in the strike group while at sea and every effort was made to ensure the crew was supported on arrival in Subic Bay, Philippines,” Comer said.

The quick assistance prevented an ugly mechanical breakdown from becoming a larger operational crisis.

The cause of the casualty remains under investigation, according to Comer. Investigators will need to determine whether the failure resulted from faulty equipment, deferred maintenance, human error or some combination of problems inside an already strained fleet.

The Benfold breakdown comes as the Navy faces separate scrutiny over conditions aboard USS Abraham Lincoln.

The Nimitz class aircraft carrier has been deployed for nine months, including operations supporting the American military campaign against Iran.

Adm. Brad Cooper, the leader of United States Central Command, recently visited Lincoln after Military Times learned that at least two sailors had attempted to go overboard during the extended deployment.

Cooper acknowledged that service at sea can be difficult but said Lincoln had the fewest mental health cases among the Navy’s 11 active aircraft carriers.

Lawmakers have nevertheless started demanding answers about the carrier’s prolonged schedule and reported troubles involving water, plumbing, basic supplies, deck safety, mail and mental health.

Those are not glamorous issues, but they are the nuts and bolts of keeping sailors effective while Washington asks them to remain at sea.

Pentagon and White House officials have pushed back against the concerns surrounding Lincoln’s deployment.

President Donald Trump said its length was “not nearly long enough,” signaling that operational demands will not be dictated by political hand wringing when American security interests are at stake.

Still, Benfold’s four powerless days offer a blunt reminder that readiness is measured by whether ships can fight, move and sustain their crews when trouble strikes.

The sailors showed grit, but the investigation must establish why one of America’s frontline destroyers needed tugboats and outside specialists to get back into action.




Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest

Scroll to Top

Guard Your Access!

Sign up to receive WokeSpy straight to your inbox, where they can never deplatform us!